More than 3.5 million people with tuberculosis go undiagnosed and untreated each year. Many of those missed will either die or be placed on inappropriate treatment –many will not be treated and continue to infect others in their communities. Furthermore, nearly half a million will be diagnosed with multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) which is more difficult and more expensive to diagnose and treat. Major efforts are needed to close this gap and nurses on the front lines play an important role in detecting, diagnosing, and treating these patients.
The ICN TB/MDR-TB Project aims to build global nursing capacity in the prevention, care and treatment of TB. This is achieved by training experienced nurses to cascade information to nursing colleagues and other health workers with the purpose of making improvements to patient care delivery. The practice-oriented nature of our training programme enables nurses to improve the implementation of policies and guidelines relating to TB and MDR-TB using a patient-centred approach. The project has been part of the Eli Lilly MDR-TB Partnership since 2005. The training courses are run in countries with a high burden of TB and MDR-TB where ICN has a strong working relationship with the national nurses association.
The ICN TB/MDR-TB Project has trained 2,224 nurses through the Training for Transformation (TFT) courses in 17 countries in Africa, Asia, and the Russian Federation since 2005. These nurses have in turn rolled out the training to more than 166,000 nurses, doctors, allied health workers and community members – which equates to each nurse training approximately 76 additional people.
Latest news (to come)
- TB GUIDELINES for Nurses in the Care and Control of Tuberculosis and Multi-drug Resistant Tuberculosis, 3rd Edition
- DIRECTIVES RELATIVES À LA TUBERCULOSE à l’intention des infirmières chargées du traitement et du contrôle de la tuberculose et de la tuberculose multirésistante, seconde édition
- DIRECTRICES SOBRE LA TUBERCULOSIS para las enfermeras de cuidados y lucha contra la tuberculosis y la tuberculosis multirresistente, 2ª Edición
- LINHAS DE ORIENTAÇÃO para enfermeiros no cuidado e controlo da tuberculose e da tuberculose multirresistente, 2ª Edição
- Руководящие принципы TБ контроля Для медсестер в системе противотуберкулезного контроля и ухода за больными туберкулезом и туберкулезом с множественной лекарственной устойчивостью, второе издание
- Best Practice for the Care of Patients with Tuberculosis; A guide for Low Income Countries - second edition 2017
- The International Standards for Tuberculosis Care (TBCTA)
- On-line course: Care, prevention and management of tuberculosis (TB)