Nursing Policy Leadership Programme
The International Council of Nurses (ICN) has launched an exciting new initiative on strategic leadership: short, effective, local programmes to develop established and emerging nurse leaders in hospitals, community services, universities, regulators, ministries of health and nongovernmental organisations.
This unique offer focuses on developing both individual leaders and their organisations, and the synergy of both. Tailored to your organisation's needs and circumstances, it is cost-effective. It also offers partnerships with regional and global health organisations, and badges your organisation as a visible and active partner in the Year of the Nurse and Midwife 2020.
Your programme, comprising pre- and post- online modules and a local 4-day residential workshop, will be co-created in partnership with ICN. The potential benefits include:
- Fully developing and utilizing the skills and potential of your nursing workforce to achieve better and more cost-effective outcomes.
- Better nurse recruitment, retention and performance.
- Improving your organisational strategies to contribute to better health.
- Senior nurses working effectively alongside other senior leaders and contributing to the corporate agenda.
- Enhancing your organisation's engagement with local, national, regional and global health goals.
- Partnering with the world's leading nursing organisation, and networking with other key stakeholders.
How it works:
- Funds and hosts the programme, in partnership with other local sponsors and partners
- Works closely with ICN experts on programme development
- Recruits up to 30 participants from its own nursing workforce
- Handles local arrangements including venue and accommodation
- Develops programme aims and content in close consultation with you
- Provides ongoing support from expert international nurse leaders
- Recruits faculty and organises their travel, expenses and fees
- Helps with selection criteria and recruitment of participants
- Agrees use of ICN copyright materials, adapted in partnership with you
- Awards ICN Continuing Education Credits to participants
Tried and tested
For over 10 years, ICN has been delivering leadership programmes to nurses around the world, Leadership For Change (LFC)™ and Global Nursing Leadership Institute (GNLI)™. Until recently, ICN and its consultants have developed short, highly evaluated strategic leadership programmes such as:
- A programme for nurse leaders in Belize to create a national action plan for nursing, funded by the Government of Belize and sponsors, Belize City, 2018
- A programme for nurse leaders in Italy, co-created with the national nursing association CNAI and two universities in Milan, 2019
- A global programme for the International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care and other cancer nurse leaders, funded by ISNCC and the BristolMyersSquibb Foundation, Geneva 2019
NPLP LeafletDownload (952 KB)
International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world every May 12, the anniversary of Florence Nightingale's birth. ICN commemorates this important day each year with the production and distribution of the International Nurses' Day (IND) resources and evidence.
The GCEF supports the primary and secondary schooling of girls under the age of 18 in developing countries whose nurse parent or parents have died.
The ICN Global Nursing Leadership Institute (GNLI) offers senior and strategic leadership development at the executive level for nurses from countries across all world regions.