The Official Journal of the International Council of Nurses
About International Nursing Review
International Nursing Review (INR) is the official journal of the International Council of Nurses (ICN). It is a quarterly, peer-reviewed journal that focuses predominantly on nursing and health policy issues of relevance to nurses and has an increasing impact factor. INR welcomes original articles that help to forward ICN’s global mission by representing nursing, advancing the profession and shaping health policy. INR also contributes to the ongoing development of nursing internationally with its regular section on International Perspectives. The diverse international readership of INR is located in more than 130 countries*. Published both in hard copy and on-line, INR is a key resource for nurses worldwide.
INR encourages unsolicited original manuscripts where nurses describe the policy relevance of their work and document their experience and research. Authors are encouraged to develop a ‘global intelligence’ on nursing and to address INR’s diverse audience by exploring beyond local or national interests to the more general, global application of the principles underlying their work. Background information on the local arrangements for nursing and health care in a country also provides useful context for this global readership. Policy concerns of this journal include: regulation of the profession, workplace issues, innovations in practice, patient safety, quality improvement education, ethics, nurses’ and midwives’ work-life experiences, and the impact of globalization and technology on nursing and health and social policy.
*Each copy is also published in Spanish and Japanese, courtesy of the National Nursing Associations of Spain and Japan. 3,811 institutions in developing countries also receive INR through HINARI (Health InterNetwork for the Access to Research Initiative) or INASP (International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications) at a free or reduced rate.
International Nursing Review Resources
- Visit the International Nursing Review homepage for more information and for updates on news, top articles and virtual issues
- Check INR’s Author Guidelines for details on article requirements and instructions on how to submit
- Writing for Publication Resources
- Visit Nurse Author & Editor for articles containing advice on writing quality manuscripts, avoiding rejection, finding publishing opportunities, editing and reviewing.
- The Nurse Author & Editor website also features a Resources page with links to valuable guidance such as Christine Webb's Writing for Publication booklet, Charon Pierson's guide to Reviewing Journal Manuscripts and Wiley-Blackwell’s Best Practice Guidelines on Publication Ethics.
- Writing for Publication in Nursing and Healthcare: Getting It Right - an invaluable guide on writing for publication, enabling the reader to develop skills in writing articles, book reviews and other forms of publications, written by experts in the field.