ICNP® is an integral part of the global information infrastructure informing health care practice and policy to improve patient care worldwide.
- Serve as a major force to articulate nursing’s contribution to health and health care globally.
- Promote harmonization with other widely used classifications and the work of standardization groups in health and nursing.
- Establishes an international standard to facilitate description and comparison of nursing practice;
- Serves as a unifying nursing language system for international nursing based on state-of-the-art terminology standards;
- Represents nursing concepts used in local, regional, national and international practice, across specialties, languages and cultures;
- Generates information about nursing practice that will influence decision-making, education and policy in the areas of patient needs, nursing interventions, health outcomes, and resource utilization;
- Facilitates the development of nursing data sets used in research to direct policy by describing and comparing nursing care of individuals, families and communities world wide;
- Improves communication within the discipline of nursing and across other disciplines;
- Encourages nurses to reflect on their own practice and influence improvements in quality of care.