The ICN Research Network met during the ICN Quadrennial Congress in Durban, July 2009. This is the sixth meeting of the Research Network since its establishment in 1999. About 350 participants with diverse research expertise and interests attended the meeting. The session was chaired by Linda Van Blerk, South Africa.
Highlights of the discussions
Following an overview of the ICN Research Network, its aim, scope and membership, there were brief presentations and discussions on the following areas:
- Hand hygiene to address infection rates including MRSA, Claire Kilpatrick, WHO, Geneva.
- ARSI experiences and activities in promoting research, Anne Marrie-Mottaz, France.
- Impact of Infection control practices in a major hospital, Carlo Colombo, Switzerland.
- Effectiveness of Male Circumcision in reducing HIV transmission in males, Peter Johnson, USA.
The presentations were followed by open discussions that highlighted:
- How can the ICN Research Network add value to the work of nurses and nurse researchers?
- What are the research priorities in your setting/county and what should ICN be advocating at international level?
- How could we stimulate involvement of Network members in the activities of the Bulletin?
The participants stressed the importance of research capacity building, particularly in developing countries and ways of integrating research into nursing curricula.