The California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (Board) protects the consumer from unprofessional and unsafe licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) and psychiatric technicians (PTs). Public protection is the highest priority of the Board in exercising its licensing, regulatory and disciplinary functions.
To protect the public, the Board:
- Establishes the minimum requirements for examination and licensure.
- Establishes educational standards for the accreditation of Vocational Nursing (VN) and Psychiatric Technicians (PT) schools in California.
- Adopts regulations to clarify the performance, practice and disciplinary standards for its licensees.
- Enforces the regulations governing the continued accreditation of VN & PT schools in California.
- Enforces the regulations governing LVNs and PTs by taking appropriate disciplinary action against incompetent or unsafe licensees efficiently and effectively.
http://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/about_us/about_us.shtml (accessed on 22.04.2009)