The Council of Nursing and Midwifery in Samoa is established by the Nursing and Midwifery Act 2007.
The Functions and Powers of the Council are to:
- administer the procedures applying to the registration and discipline of nurses and midwives as provided for by the Act and the Healthcare Professions Registration and Standards Act;
- recognise courses of nursing education offered at the National University of Samoa as the basis for an entitlement to registration under this Act;
- approve hospitals and community health care facilities as locations for clinical placements as part of the education of nurses and midwives in Samoa;
- determine the qualifications and experience necessary for registration as a registered nurse, specialist nurse, enrolled nurse and any other designations of nurses determined by the Council;
- determine any qualifications and experience necessary for a nurse or midwife to be in private practice or work for the National Health Service;
- approve requirements for nurses of any classification and for midwives to undertake courses of continuing education;
- determine and apply any credential program to any classification of nurse so as to assess the competence of nurses and midwives in any aspect of clinical practice, at intervals determined by the Council;
- determine the professional standards applying to nurses and midwives and the practice of nursing in Samoa;
- bring the professional standards to the attention of registered persons in any manner that the Council thinks fit;
- assist the Registrar to effectively monitor and enforce the approved professional standards and notify the Registrar of suspected breaches for investigations to be undertaken;
- advise the Ministry, the National Health Service and other Government agencies in relation to matters related to the provision of nursing services and the education of nurses and midwives in Samoa;
- assist the Ministry and the National Health Service to develop, monitor and enforce policies relevant to the provision of nursing services and the
- education of nurses and midwives in Samoa; and
- develop and implement arrangements for the regulation and supervision of enrolled nurses and midwives and other categories of registered nurses and midwives requiring supervision in the performance of aspects of their duties.
http://www.parliament.gov.ws/documents/acts/Nursing and Midwifery 2007 - English1.pdf (accessed on 23.04.2009).