Language fleuncy for nurses

Moderators: jb@icn, ac@icn

Language fleuncy for nurses

Postby jb@icn » 10 Jan 2011, 19:53

hank you, Jean and thank you for your guidance during our phone call and introduction to this forum.

I am wondering if I can ask fellow ICN forum members to share their thoughts on a project I am keen to undertake ,in partnership with Byron Russell (of English360), to develop a Nursing Language Framework Matrix which would have international applications for the proof of industry specific language competency for nurse registration and employment purposes. This would be similar to CELBAN (used in the Canadian Nursing context : http://www.celban.org) , STANAG 6001(for Military purposes) and ICAO (Aviation purposes).

At present, most countries appear to use IELTS or TOEFL as benchmark English language testing methods. Both these tests are general in flavour and do not assess the ability to function linguistically in authentic healthcare environments. I would welcome your comments on the need for a language matrix which specifies the levels of linguistic competency (both spoken and written) needed for nurses to work in various healthcare environments.
Virginia Allum
UK
jb@icn

Re: Language fleuncy for nurses

Postby tlynch02 » 05 May 2011, 02:26

I am currently conducting PhD research beginning with a survey investigating the language testing system of Non-English Speaking Background (NESB) nurses and looking at their efforts in trying to achieve the required scores in the Occupational English Test (OET) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to become registered in Australia.

The aim of this study is to understand the scope and scale of issues facing NESB migrant nurses in becoming registered in Australia through the testing process.

Please pass on this information below to any nurses for whom English is a second language and who may be seeking registration (or are registered) in Australia.

Are you an overseas trained nurse with English as your second language?
Please take my survey "English testing of nurses from NESB for registration in Australia". Your feedback is important!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/39YCVMJ

Thanks and kind regards,
Tiffany
tlynch02

Postby Chicana » 04 Jan 2012, 13:30

I agree. That's absolutly obvious to get a language fleuncy. Hope you can get it. Godd luck!!!
Last edited by Chicana on 10 Jan 2013, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.
Chicana

Postby gail_petracca » 13 Jan 2012, 18:57

I am a faculty member in an ADN program in the U.S. The problem we are finding with students that have English as a second language is the various word nuances, cultural slangs, and translation deficits. For example, test questions will include words or phrases such as "twirling your thumbs, hopscotch, wringing of the hands. These words and phrases generally have no meaning to the ESL student. The concept of a language matrix for nursing is intriguing and would help standardize the profession, however there continues to be many variables that impede the progression of such an undertaking. I wish you much success.
Gail[
gail_petracca

Postby elizabethmeh » 04 Feb 2012, 09:51

Hi all interesting reading. I have found that the English Language examinations are all valuable tools... and in my practice have found them helpful in addressing this issue. However, Virginia i am wondering since you mentioned this issue have we moved forward. I have recently recognised that with language fluency and the ease in using e-technology and its impact on global networking this issue is even more of a concern particularly when facilities go to hire new medical and particularly nursing staff they will recruit staff with huge language communication issues which greatly impacts the clinical environment and communicating with our patients/clients... impacting further care and issues that multiglobal integrations can often brings.
elizabethmeh

Postby adward » 13 Feb 2012, 14:04

I have just filled in the survey. Good luck to your research.

Regards,
Come with me...
adward

Postby Faridah Hashim » 23 Feb 2012, 09:13

Hi
Agree that language fluency is a must if nurses from non English speaking country wishes to practice in an English speaking country. Can ease the stress of feeling inadequate - both for the nurse and clients.
Faridah Hashim

Return to Regulation Network