RN to BSN

Moderator: jb@icn

RN to BSN

Postby paulan35 » 05 May 2011, 04:53

I am an RN working toward my BSN. In NY there has been discussion that a BSN will be mandatory to work as a nurse. This has been a topic of discussion for over 10 years I am told by seasoned nurses. I know some facilities are becoming magnet facilities and a BSN is mandatory for those facilities. I think there will always be a need for LPNs and RNs. In my research I only found one state in the US that made it mandatory that RN receive their BSN within a certain amount of time after obtaining their RN. That state reversed that mandate soon after implementing it. I am curious to know how other countries are addressing the education of nurses and what is the mandate to practice.

Pauline Longkutoy
paulan35

Re: RN to BSN

Postby pzackm01 » 11 May 2011, 19:44

Hi Pauline. That has been a hot topic for me as well with my colleagues. I too am an RN working towards my BSN. (But I think you know that! LOL) While I am a definite proponent for more education, I also work with unbelievable nurses that have a wealth of experience and knowledge and they are either diploma nurses or associate nurses. I would put my life in their hands if I had to. My hospital is looking to obtain magnet status as well and they have really been pushing the BSN. (This is not why I am back in school though. I have wanted to go back for over 10 years but I had to get through three teenagers instead.) The seasoned nurses that I work with are a bit put off by this because they don't plan on working for more than 10 more years or so and by the time they get through school, it will be time for retirement. It is definitely an interesting debate. Take care! -tricia
pzackm01

Postby Don » 02 Dec 2011, 13:16

RN is a professional certification. (Registered Nurse).
BSN is a degree earned from a nursing school or a college. (Bachelor of Science in Nursing).

Once you earn your BSN degree, you can easily become an RN. But earning a BSN degree doesn't automatically make you an RN. You would still need to pass all state certification requirements.
Don

Postby danny26 » 26 Feb 2012, 19:49

In the Netherlands we have the titel Bachelor of Nursing (BN)
danny26

Postby mdsjuert » 21 Mar 2012, 23:17

Want to become a registered nurse ? Click here
mdsjuert

Postby samantha.girard » 18 Apr 2012, 06:44

This is for Danny on Netherlands - how long is your program and do you know the foundation for the curriculum?
samantha.girard

Return to Student Network