Shortage of nursing educators.Is this a problem in your coun

Moderator: jb@icn

Shortage of nursing educators.Is this a problem in your coun

Postby lhemmila » 16 Oct 2010, 18:03

My name is Linda (nurse educator) and I am working on a doctorate project. I would appreciate your response to the following question.
Here in the United States we are predicting a shortage of nursing educators. Is this a problem in your country? Why?

Moderator: A new topic has been created from your question
lhemmila

Re: Welcome to the Education Network Forum

Postby rgverian » 18 Oct 2010, 22:47

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am Ronaldo (nurse faculty member) from the United States looking forward to a progressive and productive discussion about global nursing education. Any thoughts on this matter?
rgverian

Postby drggRN » 18 Oct 2010, 23:02

There are many global projects in nursing education programs across the USA. Several colleagues are involved in consulting with nursing education programs in other countries and others take students for clinical and cultural experiences. What is your interest?
drggRN

Postby rgverian » 19 Oct 2010, 00:22

Thank you for the quick reply. My main area of interest is global nursing education as it relates to supply of nurses in urban areas. I am also interested in language barrier that may compromise patient safety. Any of our colleagues who are into these research areas? I am considering doctoral education in the near future.
rgverian

Postby drggRN » 19 Oct 2010, 05:46

When you speak of the supply of nurses in urban areas, are you referring to over-supply or under-supply? In addition do you believe that language may be a barrier that may compromise patient safety? These are good questions and perhaps we can take them one at a time under new post? I am certain that colleagues would enjoy the dialogue. They may also be willing to invite you to investigate their doctoral programs for your future graduate education.
drggRN

Re: Shortage of nursing educators.Is this a problem in your

Postby rgverian » 20 Oct 2010, 05:36

I am referring to both types of supply issue because I think, there is always two sides to a coin. I am inviting our colleagues to speak about this issue whether it is a reflection or a result of research that have been done. Thank you for giving swift answers and looking forward to a more progressive dialogue.
rgverian

Postby jamills » 02 Nov 2010, 01:33

Hello Everyone From Australia

It is great to see people posting on the site and some of the discussion points raised. I am interested to find out more about how nurse educators are classified in the US. Is there a shortage of nurse academics (in Australia you need to have a PhD or be enrolled in a PhD to teach in a university), or are you referring to nurse educators who are employed supervising students in the clinical environment?

Look forward to hearing more.

Best regards Jane
Dr Jane Mills
Associate Professor
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition
James Cook University
Cairns Campus
AUSTRALIA
jane.mills@jcu.edu.au
jamills

Postby kinanthiputri » 02 Nov 2010, 20:33

Hi everyone, I am so proud to read all the previous entry because I am just at the very beginning of nursing world. I am doing mu undergraduate in nursing in Indonesia, although I am on my final year, still I feel small in this big nursing world.

Shortage of nurse educators, especially in my university where I studied is definitely true. Well, we don't have so many lectures here in my Uni. I guess we have like 25 lectures together with tutor and clinical educator here in my school. Probably because we are a new school of nursing so we also still have only few lectures. but I guess why we have shortage is because there aren't many nurse in Indonesia (i don't have any accurate information about this) who have graduate degree. in my uni to be a lecture, he/she must at least finish master degree. Well, that is my naive point of view. Hopefully it will help you.

P.S. reading this entry, encourage me to pursue my dream to have PhD in nursing someday in the future.

Regards,
Kinanthi.
kinanthiputri

Postby JRH » 02 Nov 2010, 23:40

Welcome Kinanthi - congratulations on beginning your nursing career! I find it interesting that in Australia a PhD is required to teach in a university setting. I'm not an educator (I'm actually a student Nurse Anesthetist at the moment), but I know at least in the state of Virginia, you only need a degree level higher than the students you are teaching. Since the US still has essentially three levels of basic nursing education (diploma nurses, Associate Degree nurses, and Bachelors Degree nurses), this practice would seem to vastly increase the number of available people to teach in these various settings. While there were a number of PhD and DNPs teaching in the Bachelor's program from which I graduated, the majority of the teachers were MSNs. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but I'm sure there are BSN nurses teaching in Associate Degree programs. I can't imagine the chaos that would be created in the US if all university nursing instructors were required to have a PhD! There would be a mad scramble for PhD programs, I'm sure.

Butch
JRH

Postby kinanthiputri » 03 Nov 2010, 16:09

Hi Butch, thank you so much! I hope I can have the chance to continue study until I get my PhD as well. My dad is a lecturer but in Agriculture and what I know from him is also same with your statement, at least the educator has a level higher than the student.
Nursing in my country is developing now and I am sure someday, we will have a better nursing world as well.

Regards,
Kinanthi.
kinanthiputri

Next

Return to Nursing Education Network