International NP education for US citizens

Moderator: jb@icn

Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Jul 2011, 22:43

International NP education for US citizens

Postby silentsiren4 » 08 Jul 2011, 22:47

Hello Everyone,

I am an American student currently in an accelerated BSN program. I am looking to begin an FNP or CNM program next fall 2012. I was interested in learning on whether or not it would be possible to get my advanced degree from another country. I do not know the rules and regulations on whether or not I would be able to work in the US after completion of an NP program abroad but I would be very interested in hearing about personal experiences or advice anyone may have. I am sure there would be hoops that I would have to go through in order to work in the US afterwards but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance !

Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jul 2011, 01:25

Re: International NP education for US citizens

Postby LourdesSantoni » 20 Aug 2011, 18:37

You would have to take the Advanced Practice Nurse Board Certification Exam in the US for your specialty
Licensure for APNs in the US looks at where you obtained your education
Currently I am not aware of any State Board of Nursing which would recognize education outside of the USA and allow you to be licensed
APN licensure requires RN licensure as well
RNs from other countries must pass NCLEX in the US...check here first and contact your State Board of Nursing
Also check with the American Nurses Association

Return to “Student Network”