International Health Career Options as FNP

Moderator: jb@icn

International Health Career Options as FNP

Postby sagun76 » 10 Feb 2011, 23:17

Hello, I am currently a first year Family Nurse Practitioner graduate student in the US and am struggling with my career path as I have had dual careers- one in nursing and one in international health and development. It would be helpful to gain exposure on the different career paths other Family Nurse Practitioners have taken outside of the mainstream primary care practice. I look forward to hearing from others around the globe!

Cheers,
Sarah
sagun76

Re: International Health Career Options as FNP

Postby jb@icn » 11 Feb 2011, 11:54

Hello Sarah,

In addition to posting your question here you may want to post it on the ICN Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nurse (INP/APN) online forum as that forum is directly targeted to nurse practitioners and other advanced practice nurses.

Jean Barry
ICN Consultant
jb@icn

Postby Carylin » 17 Feb 2011, 23:31

This is an absolutely great topic for discussion here. I am engaged in medical missions on an international canvas and plan to enter graduate school in the fall (2011) FNP/DNP/PhD. I too have a heart for the reduction of health disparities on a global scale and would love to have a tool or a better understanding of reciprocity or requirement to practice in other countries. This is also a topic among newly licensed nurses who do not currently have experience as a way to give-back, gain experience and impact patient populations who otherwise may not have health care while they are in search of their internship or first nursing position. What of a possibility to have exchange student, study abroad opportunities or continuing education privileges as a way to begin?
Carylin

Postby winn99 » 31 May 2011, 02:54

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA CAROLYN, THERE ARE MANY INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES ALL OVER THE WORLD . YOU WILL BE TAKING THE SAME PATH THAT I DID IN THE SENSE THAT YOU WILL BE ENTERING GRADUATE SCHOOL PRETTY QUICKLY AFTER BECOMING A BSN. ONE THING THOUGH YOU SHOULD PREPARE TO BE A LITTLE TIRED IT IS NOT AN EASY PROCESS ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN STUDYING FOR SOME TIME AS MYSELF, THIS IS MY SIXTH YEAR, BUT I FEEL GREAT, AND I WISH YOU THE BEST IN YOUR ENDEAVORS YOU ARE PRETTY SMART AND AGILE. I WILL BE GIVING CONTINUING EDUCATION CLASSES SOON. YOU HAVE MY EMAIL I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCES WITH YOU WRITE TO ME AT ANY TIME

TRULY
Ms Leticia Cruz RN-Puerto Rico-
winn99

Return to Student Network