Psychiatric NPs or APNs in Portugal

Moderator: jb@icn

ShashaRNNP

Psychiatric NPs or APNs in Portugal

Postby ShashaRNNP » 29 Sep 2014, 17:36

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone had any info on Psychiatric NPs or APNs in Portugal? I'm an American PMHNP who has worked with adults both in the hospital & in community health centers in several different states. Currently I'm specializing in perinatal psychiatry. I'm married to an English guy & we're planning on moving to Portugal (probably the Algarve) in late winter/early Spring of 2015. It seems from what I've read, I could do therapy in private practice but I'd also like to continue prescribing in some fashion even if only on a consultancy basis. Does anyone know the laws around this? I'm also completing a yoga teacher training course for mental health professionals (currently teach a group on inpatient psychiatry) and would like to continue this type of work. Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

madrean

Re: Psychiatric NPs or APNs in Portugal

Postby madrean » 01 Oct 2014, 05:44

At this time there is not an established NP or APN role in Portugal but the concept is being discussed.
To understand the Portugese context try to access an article by Buchan et al, Jan./Feb. 2013 'Nurses in advanced roles:
a review of acceptability in Portugal' (Las enfermeras de competencies avanzadas: una revision de acception en Portugal).
A google search should find it for you.

ShashaRNNP

Postby ShashaRNNP » 09 Oct 2014, 16:27

Yes actually I've read that article. Do you know of nurses that can prescribe?

madrean

Postby madrean » 09 Oct 2014, 17:08

I not aware of nurses in Portugal having prescriptive authority.
You might contact the Portugese Order of Nurses (Ordem dos Enfermeiros)
for further information. Contact is mail@ordermenfrmeiros.pt
url is http://www.ordemenfermeiros.pt
President: Germano Couto

Return to “INP/APN Network”