International Health Career Options as FNP

Moderators: jb@icn, ac@icn

Postby sagun76 » 23 Feb 2011, 04:59

Hello, I am currently a first year Family Nurse Practitioner graduate student in the US and am struggling with my career path as I have had dual careers- one in nursing and one in international health and development. It would be helpful to gain exposure on the different career paths other Family Nurse Practitioners have taken outside of the mainstream primary care practice. I look forward to hearing from others around the globe!

Cheers,
Sarahsagun76

Private messageE-mail sagun76
sagun76

Re: International Health Career Options as FNP

Postby madrean » 25 Jun 2011, 08:34

Sincere apologies for the delay in replying. I am an Adult NP but have been an International Healthcare Consultant for the past 11 years. I can only suggest that you try to clarify for yourself what it is you prefer doing and what your short & longterm objectives are. How much international experience do you have? What languages do you speak in addition to English?
madrean

Postby timkru » 14 Nov 2012, 02:49

Hello,

I am currently an FNP in Phoenix, Arizona (USA) and have the opportunity to work internationally thorough our nation's Peace Corps service. While this service does not allow for direct patient care, it does however allow one to gain international humanitarian experience. I forsee in my long-term goals working in an international capacity and potentially helping develop the NP role in an international context. Are there any recommendations anyone has regarding these endeavors? For example, are there any recommendations anyone has regarding building a competive portfolio? Is there certain experience which may lend itself to making myself more favorable to be utilized in such a role?

I recognize this topic has not been used for some time, but I feel it is the best fitting category.

Thank you in advance,
Tim
timkru

Postby madrean » 16 Nov 2012, 14:33

If you want to develop in the international community I would suggest that it takes time.
In my opinion you would be well served to focus on your specific interests and expertise.
Simply designating international development is a bit too broad. Are you interested in
humanitarian projects or advanced practice role development or????
Secondly heightened exposure to the international nursing and APN/NP community
is essential. Deepen your knowledge of what is going on and what are the needs.
You have identified your interest in international activities but you need to identify
what the needs are that match your interest.
Thirdly - try to attend as many international conferences and forums that are possible for
you. E.g. the upcoming ICN Congress in Melbourne, Australia in 2013 and the ICN INP/APNN
conference in Helsinki, Finland in 2014. There are many other international events listed
through ICN and other organisations.
Accessing international development does not necessarily come automatically. Like
everything else you need to do some work to achieve this. Good luck.
Madrean Schober
madrean

Postby timkru » 20 Nov 2012, 21:26

Thank you very much Madrean for your insightful reply. Your recommendations are very valuable. As I start working in a more international context (through the Peace Corps and whatever opportunities arise from there), I'm sure I will begin to develop more of a niche in time. I definitely will attempt to attend any confrences I can in the future and I have been excited with the opportunities provided through the ICN NP/APN Network.

Again, thank you.
timkru

Return to INP/APN Network