National associations for student nurses.

Moderator: jb@icn

National associations for student nurses.

Postby JVPotts » 10 Sep 2012, 22:50

Hello all, my name is Joseph Potts and I am the President of the National Student Nurses' Association here in the USA. At our most recent convention, I had the pleasure of meeting the President of the CNSA (Canada) and I was curious what other nations had similar associations for their student nurses.

Thanks,
Joe

P.S.
Here are links to my associations page and my official FB page.:

http://www.nsna.org/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NSNA-Pres ... 8220658251
JVPotts

Re: National associations for student nurses.

Postby cpatel5 » 06 Oct 2012, 06:33

Hi,
I am an international student in the US. I am from India. I had the opportunity to be involved with NSNA while in the undergraduate BSN program at a university in Ohio. I also had the pleasure to meet you at the 60th annual convention in Pittsburgh! I love being involved in leadership roles and would like to be the voice of all international nursing students who struggle in the US to succeed in their professional fields due to visa regulations and lack of support from their universities.
Being from India, I do know that India has a nurses association like we have here in the US. It is called the "Trained Nurses' Association of India"
(http://tnaionline.org/index.htm).

Thanks,
Chandni
cpatel5

Postby grossjj » 08 Oct 2012, 16:38

I currently teach nursing in Ghana. The University students here have a national organization - UNSAG. Their facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/157584924322981/
grossjj

Postby matt » 13 Oct 2012, 20:13

Hi. I'm a nurse in the UK and a member of the Royal College of Nursing. While there is no dedicated students only association here the RCN have a healthy students section. They encourage students to become involved with their activities and have a position of student information officer which students can become and relay information about the RCN to other students in their classes.
matt

Postby JVPotts » 27 Oct 2012, 00:39

Thank you all for your responses.

Chandni,
Have you graduated? If not, will you be at mid-year in San Diego? If so, I would love to talk with you in person about the challenges that international students

Grossjj,
Thank you for linking the FB page, I have gone to it and requested to join. Hopefully that will allow our countries to start communicating.

Matt,
Yes, I had heard that the RCN had student involvement, I would love to learn more about it. Do you all elect a leader from the students? My email address is President@nsna.org, if have any information that you would like to share with me.

Again, thank you all.

Respectfully,
Joe
JVPotts

Postby cpatel5 » 14 Nov 2012, 09:18

Hi Joe,
I graduated with my BSN in May 2012. I continued into the BSN-DNP program starting this Fall, and due to school commitments, I was unable to attend the mid-year conference. Although, I would be willing to share some of the problems that international nursing students pursuing advanced degree in nursing face.

Regards,
Chandni
cpatel5

Postby Morten Kristoffersen » 21 Nov 2012, 18:28

Hi Joe,
Here in Norway we have a National Student Nurse Organisation organizing 90% of all nursing students in our country.
They elect their own representatives on national and regional level. The students are an autonomous part of Norwegian Nurses Organisation and they make their own policies.

Best regards
Morten Kristoffersen
Student advicer
Morten Kristoffersen

Postby caroljoy » 02 Apr 2014, 07:38

Hi everyone,
I am happy to be able to say that Australia now has the Australian Student and Novice Nurse Association (ASANNA)!
We are at the very early days of creation during last years ICN Congress in Melbourne, and we have been working hard ever since to establish. Have a look at our young website (under development!) at http://www.asanna.com.au
ASANNA is committed to the development of Australia's future nursing workforce by facilitating growth through support, community engagement and advocacy.
We are linking the current university student clubs through our national network, and we are also developing networks of novice nurses (whom we define as nurse's within 5 years of completing their undergraduate qualification to become a Registered Nurse). We are including early career nurses because we have identified that this cohort faces significant challenges in our current workforce climate. As many countries currently do, we have a shortage of graduate employment, whilst our country faces an overall shortage of nurses. It is also true that here in Australia, the nursing profession has the greatest exit rate in the first five years of nurses' careers. So we aim to support and advocate for this cohort, as well as our students. No small task!
Our unique factor is that we are also independent, and currently completely unfunded!
We would love to keep in touch with you all, especially as it was evident at the Congress in Melbourne, that many of us across the world face this strange nursing workforce crisis. It would be wonderful if we could use this Forum (perhaps?) to share and discuss strategies that we can use, as student organisations, to advocate for our cohorts across the world?! What sort of things are you all doing to make a difference?
We at ASANNA are very excited to be getting ready to head to America, for the NSNA's Convention next week! We hope to continue these international relations and work with you all to support each other through the years to come.
If you would like to know more about ASANNA, or just to say hi, please post back to me, or email me at carol@asanna.com.au
Thank you, and I hope you are all going well,
Carol Mudford
Co-President ASANNA
facebook: www.facebook.com/AsannaNurses
caroljoy

Return to Student Network