Welcome to the Regulation Network Forum

Moderator: jb@icn

Welcome to the Regulation Network Forum

Postby jb@icn » 10 Dec 2010, 11:53

Welcome to the ICN Regulation Network forum. The forum is now live again after a period of unavailability due to the update of the ICN website. We welcome your posts and questions to address key issues related to nursing regulation and credentialing globally. We thank you for your interest in the ICN Regulation Network and look forward to hearing from you.

Jean Barry
Consultant, Nursing and Health Policy
International Council of Nurses
jb@icn

Language fluency for nurses

Postby VirginiaAllum » 10 Jan 2011, 15:27

Thank you, Jean and thank you for your guidance during our phone call and introduction to this forum.

I am wondering if I can ask fellow ICN forum members to share their thoughts on a project I am keen to undertake ,in partnership with Byron Russell (of English360), to develop a Nursing Language Framework Matrix which would have international applications for the proof of industry specific language competency for nurse registration and employment purposes. This would be similar to CELBAN (used in the Canadian Nursing context : http://www.celban.org) , STANAG 6001(for Military purposes) and ICAO (Aviation purposes).

At present, most countries appear to use IELTS or TOEFL as benchmark English language testing methods. Both these tests are general in flavour and do not assess the ability to function linguistically in authentic healthcare environments. I would welcome your comments on the need for a language matrix which specifies the levels of linguistic competency (both spoken and written) needed for nurses to work in various healthcare environments.
Virginia Allum
UK
Last edited by jb@icn on 10 Jan 2011, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To create a new topic for this post
VirginiaAllum

Re: Welcome to the Regulation Network Forum

Postby Sarah » 26 Nov 2011, 15:51

Hey guys,

i'm Sarah, how are you all?! :)
Sarah

Postby Laura080 » 29 Nov 2011, 00:30

Hi Serena,

I'm not sure where i'm going to end up heading yet this year, i was thinking of Latin America.. why, are you thinking of going to Africa yourself then?!
puppy trainingpuppy training tipspuppy barkingpuppy bitingmedical seedsfemale seedspoker botpot seedsnorthern lights weedabcdefghijklmnopqr
Laura
Laura080

Postby Sarah » 29 Nov 2011, 01:03

Im not sure where to go either, i was thinking of New Zealand.. maybe we could all go somewhere together?! :)

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah on 09 Jan 2012, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah

Postby Faridah Hashim » 23 Feb 2012, 09:03

Dear All
I am new to this site and regretted very much not knowing it earlier. Could anyone advise me on how nursing clinicians and academics can work together for a common clinical skill,to ensure commonality in practice - especially within a country.
Faridah Hashim

Postby Tom Murray » 29 Sep 2012, 21:57

Hi Guys, I am new to ths forum. You may be aware that there is considerable concern in the UK re the way in which the Nurses and Midwives Council operates, and the way in which nurses are regulated. I am therefore intending to submit an itme to the RCN Congress on the subject of the future of professional regulation.
The issues that concern nurses in the UK include:

The effects of the blame society and the effects of high profile cases in the media
That overregulation may lead to defensive practice

That a more helpful approch would be more use of discussion in a safe environment, such as case discussion, reflective practice groups and supervision.

They would like to have a system of regulation that balances the need to protect the public and the need to respond objectively to high profile media cases.

I would be interested in the views of other posters.

Tom
Tom Murray

Return to Regulation Network