As an evolving and dynamic resource, the ICN Rural and Remote Nursing Network:
- Provides a global forum for identification and discussion of issues related to rural and remote nursing
- Promotes awareness of rural and remote nursing so that the roles, contributions and expertise of rural and remote nurses are understood, respected and optimized within the health care system
- Assists with the development and sharing of knowledge, tools and guidelines which rural and remote nurses can use to embed specialized skills and competencies into their practice
- Promotes sound rural and remote nursing practice across the globe
- Establishes links between the ICN Rural and Remote Nursing Network and other international organizations, resources and networks to promote the sharing and exchange of knowledge, expertise and experience
On July 2nd 2009 at the ICN congress in Durban, South Africa, members of the Rural and Remote Nursing Network's core steering group met with and listened to hundreds of nurses that expressed concerns related to rural and remote nursing. This meeting provided a wonderful opportunity for nurses across the globe to voice their concerns to the core steering group. The group took notes and spoke briefly about how they hope to make the network more active, increase communication venues, and increase list serve membership. The core steering group inform the ICN of problems that need to be addressed in rural and remote areas, ultimately providing the framework for some of ICN’s initiatives.