The Nepal Nursing Council (NNC) is established under Nepal Nursing Council Act 2052 (1996). It came into force in 16June 1996 and amended in January, 2002. The name of the nursing professional is to be registered subject to Nepal Nursing Council Act, 1996 and Nepal Nursing Council Regulation, 1996. The Nepal Nursing Council Act prohibits practice unless the name is registered with the Nepal Nursing Council.
http://www.nnc.org.np/index.php (accessed on 22.04.2009).
The power, function and duties of the council shall be as follows:-
- To formulate policy required to operate the nursing profession smoothly;
- To provide recognition to a teaching institution;
- To evaluate and review the curriculum, terms and conditions of admission, examination system and other necessary terms and conditions and infrastructure of a teaching institution which has been granted recognition pursuant to clause (b),
- If a teaching institution is found form the evaluation and review made pursuant to clause (c) to have failed to meet the standards determined by the council, to make a recommendation for revoking the approval for operation of such institution.
- To determine the qualifications of the nursing professionals and to issue certification to the qualified nursing professional after registering his /her name in the registration book ,
- To determine the work limit of nursing professionals,
- To formulate professional code of conduct of the nursing professionals and to take action against those nursing professionals who violate such code of conduct.