The Nursing Council of Mauritius is established under the Nursing Council Act 2003. The Mission of the Mauritius Nursing Council is:
To ensure that quality nursing training is provided and standards of professional practice are maintained.
The functions of the Council are to:
- exercise and maintain discipline in the practice of nursing and midwifery;
- establish and maintain registers kept under section 20;
- advise the Minister on any matter governed by the provisions of this Act or any matter connected therewith or incidental thereto;
- advise the Minister on the establishment and improvement of the standards of education of nurses and midwives;
- promote the education and training of nurses and midwives;
- establish a code of practice for the nursing and midwifery professions and monitor compliance with such code; and
- publish the annual list.
http://www.ncmauritius.org/prelim.htm (accessed on 22/04/09).